Monday, March 7, 2011

Seersucker Suits

With spring and summer just around the corner, it's time to get your seersucker dusted off and out of the closet.



A little history. Seersucker was first introduced to the American landscape by Brooks Brothers around the turn of the century. Haspel lays claim to the first "wash & wear" version. The word seersucker comes from the persian and sanskrit meaning milk and sugar and refers to the two opposing textures. Southern gentlemen have long favored the cool, inexpensive sanity of it. The Episcopal priest who married Mrs. W. and I in Memphis wore blue seersucker trousers beneath his cassock.The coolness is achieved by the fabric's crinkly ability to sit up off the skin. Suffice it to say that seersucker has been on the scene long enough to have seen many revivals. Myself, I say a classic never goes out of style.



What I happen to like so much about the seersucker suit is the ability to wear it as separates. The suit looks great on other people. I like to wear the seersucker jacket with a pair of khakis and the seersucker trousers with a navy blazer. Maybe once throughout the summer I'll wear the both of them together.

Somehow this leads me to other summer looks. There is the pincord suit, a close cousin. Makes for a wonderful sportcoat. Probably my favorite. Something you could wear to school every day back in the day when we wore jacket and tie to school every day.

Then there is the white linen jacket. Very elegant. And no one does this better than Toad.

Equal parts Sam Clemens and Cordial Churchman


Then there is the question of white bucks. I love this look on other people. Myself, I've never been able to get to that point where the "new" has been kicked out of them. But if you're looking for a good example, look no further than ADG at Maxminimus.

Shoes can be found at Ben Silver. Nicely tanned ankles: priceless.


There are also the rowing blazers that I referred to in my maiden post.

This only works at Henley


As Giuseppe pointed out, these DBs look smashing on the Royals.


As a parting shot, let's remember that seersucker (like popsicles and jelly beans) comes in many hues. Those of you custom boys, don't hold back!



Rodney Dangerfield wore these in Caddyshack.


Toad, thanks a million for including me in your blogroll.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...