Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Disappearance of the Bass Weejun

I, too bemoan the disappearance of the Bass Weejun. Once considered the entry point to prepdom, they have gone the way of all flesh. Back in the day, it seemed that everyone had a pair in various states of disrepair, running all the way from brand new, to well-polished-though-resoled-several-times, to beat-to-shit (bts) and strapped together with white athletic tape. Some even had a pair in all three states, depending on the haute of the occasion. Sadly, they are gone.


As a teenager, all you really needed to qualify as a prep were three particular pairs of shoes: Bass Weejuns, Sperry Topsiders, and Bean Boots. As for the Weejun, you could wear it almost anywhere, for any occasion, except black tie, in which case the black Gucci horsebit worked nicely. Being a teenager, you got away with a lot of things.

Ever since they went away, I have periodically purchased a pair in the hope that the quality will have returned. Like Charlie Brown hoping that Lucy will hold the football for him, I have been disappointed every time.

About a year ago I became enamored of the Gilman version, and had Zappo's send me two different pair. I'll say this for the Gilman's, they are a good looking facsimile. Upon closer examination, however, there is something wrong with the sole (composition, I think) and the sizing also. The first pair was too short and narrow, the second pair gigantic and ready to slip off my foot at a moment's notice. Alas, and quick as a whistle, the thrifty Mrs W. sent them back to Zappo's. (What great service they offer!)



Next it was the Mark McNairy/Bass collaboration that arrived on my doorstep about two weeks ago (pictured left). I have yet to wear them and wonder if I ever will. They are stiff and narrow, hurt like hell, and look and smell, well, brand new. It seems to me it would take about a year to break them in, and I just don't know if I have that in me. Plus, they cost $290, which is a long way off from the $18 I shelled out for my first pair in May of 1967.

Besides, I have several, perfectly good, perfectly comfortable, Brooks Brothers cordovan loafers, which for all practical purposes have become the new Bass Weejun for me.

Here's another pair (Peal's), very pricey, not cordovan, just found on the Brooks website. I really like the color. Has anyone seen them in the flesh??

1 comment:

  1. if you don't know, gilman is a boys' school in baltimore. the traditional route is gilman/yale/harvard biz school.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...