Monday, November 22, 2010

Savile Row - St. Louis Style

Here in Saint Louis we have a thin crust pizza, made in the round but cut into small squares. One of my daughters swears by the stuff. I, myself, being a transplanted Easterner, prefer my pizza a little earthier and favor the New York version. Nonetheless, there are a lot of things that get done in a special way here in St. Louis, and those native to the area take special delight in referring to "St. Louis Style".

Such is the case with tailored clothing at Savile Row. Owned and operated by David Shockley, and located in the heart of Ladue, St. Louis' toniest address, Savile Row offers the discerning customer a sometimes overwhelming array of choices, and as David likes to say, "they're all in your size." Ably assisted by Wendy Jones and Mandy Boncek, you will be welcomed into a world of style, sophistication and first class service.

David Shockley

I had known about this store for roughly ten years before I ever ventured in. Prior to that time I was content with ready-made goods from Brooks Brothers, Joseph Banks, Polo Ralph Lauren, or things that I had found at the Andover Shop and J. Press on yearly pilgrimages back to Boston. I first made it through David's doorway about a year ago, and since that time, let's just say that I have purchased enough clothing to render an opinion.


My first suit with David, a bold chalk stripe


My first experience with working buttonholes

This is how I feel when I wear my new suit.


Last week I went in to pick up a couple of shirts that were ready. Originally there were three, but one was retained so we could re-tweak the pattern a bit. Comparing these shirts to those I have purchased from Hemrajani, I would offer the following:
  • These shirts are made in the U.S.A.
  • Selection of fabrics is wonderful (and, of course, you can actually see and touch them)
  • Turnaround time is quick - usually 4 weeks
  • Cost is higher than Hemrajani
  • And then there is the human factor, someone at the store to talk with, and discuss what you'd like to have done differently the next time.

Perhaps I should start using "TWH" instead of my own initials

My experience at Savile Row has been overwhelmingly positive, the clothing and service both superb, the turnaround time relatively quick. Prices range from moderate to high, but you get what you pay for. Remember, this is clothing that is built to last a lifetime. If you take the cost of what you're purchasing and divide it out over the twenty years or so that you are likely to wear it, you'll soon find it to be much less expensive than the throwaway garments you get at the mall. Where else can you select exactly what you want, and specify the details? Remember also what Oscar Wilde said: "the cynic is someone who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing."

Go see David. Trust me when I say you will not be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...